How rain affects your pool
During a rainstorm:
- Leaves, dirt and algae spores get delivered into your pool water
- Phosphates get deposited into your water
- Your chlorine, salt and minerals get diluted
Combined with sunlight, these conditions are perfect for algae to grow and affect the health of your pool. In addition, if rainwater runs off your roof or deck, it can introduce foreign contaminants, alter your water’s pH, calcium hardness, total dissolved solids, alkalinity and other chemical levels.
How to prepare pool water before rain
During a rainstorm, dust and debris gets washed into your pool, phosphates get deposited into your water and your chlorine, salt and minerals get diluted.
If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. Before rain hits:
- Balance your pool properly. Get a free water test at your local Poolwerx for the best advice on what your pool needs to be balanced.
- Consider adding some Vitalyse Poly Plus Algaecide. This will help fight off many of the organic contaminants the rainwater introduces, making your pool easier to clean after the rain dissipates.
Vitalyse Poly Plus Algaecide adds an extra layer of protection for your pool, preventing black, green and mustard algae growth, giving your pool a fighting chance. Visit your local Poolwerx for a free water test and get expert advice on if it’s right for you!
How to treat your pool after rain
If the rain has passed, you can begin to clean your pool. You’ll want to act fast, as if your pool isn’t cleaned and the chemical imbalance isn’t corrected quickly after a rainstorm, you can damage your pool equipment, causing you to need expensive repairs.
After heavy rain, make sure you:
- Empty skimmer and pump baskets. The accumulated debris in the pool will clog the baskets and reduce the flow of water.
- Remove large debris and leaves from the water. They will influence the water chemistry of the pool and potentially stain your pool’s surface.
- Test your pool water and rebalance it. Your local Poolwerx offers free water testing, and can provide personal recommendations to bring your pool back to health.
If you’re looking for general advice, we’ve included some of the common problems pools face following a rain storm, and what you can do to get on top of it.
With very heavy rainfall, the runoff from the gardens and surrounding pool areas can add large quantities of dirt, garden soil and mud into your pool, turning it brown and murky. If your pool has turned brown after a rainstorm, it could be because there is mud, dirt and particulates suspended in your pool water. If this is the case, consider visiting your local Poolwerx for a free water test and pick up some Vitalyse Fast Floc.
Vitalyse Fast Floc is a fast acting, concentrated floccing agent with a built in accelerator. It’s perfect to use after rainstorms, as it acts as a coagulant, binding dirt and mud particles together and sinking them to the bottom of the pool floor, where they can be vacuumed.
Vitalyse Fast Floc is is exclusively stocked at Poolwerx, and:
- Can be used in both heated and non-heated swimming pools
- Is compatible with salt, chlorine and mineral pools
- Can help clear up muddy, murky and cloudy pools in just 3-6 hours
This advice is for pools that have a green tinge to the water and algae on the walls. With heavy rainfall, the chemicals in your pool can become unbalanced; your pH levels altered and your chlorine, salt and mineral content diluted. In addition, leaves, dirt and algae spores get delivered into your pool water and can decompose, causing phosphates to be deposited into your water. Combined with sunlight, these conditions are perfect for algae and other contaminants to grow and affect the health of your pool, turning it green overnight.
If your pool has turned green after a rainstorm, consider visiting your local Poolwerx for a free water test and pick up some Vitalyse Poly Plus Algaecide. This works in conjunction with your chlorine, salt and minerals to quickly and more effectively kill the algae in your pool, bringing your pool back from green to clean. If you’d like some professional help, your local Poolwerx offers a Green to Clean Pool Service!
Tips on using Vitalyse Poly Plus Algaecide:
- Clean your pool up first. Organic material in the pool consumes algaecide, making it less effective.
- Make sure you run your filter with the algaecide. This helps to disperse the algaecide and remove the suspended matter. Algaecides have little impact on stagnant water.
- Never overdose your pool. Read and follow instructions on the label, and visit your local Poolwerx for a free water test to determine what dosage you should use.
This advice if for pools where you can’t see the pool floor (but your water is non-green in colour). If your pool has turned cloudy after a rainstorm, consider visiting your local Poolwerx to pick up some Vitalyse Crystal Clear.
Vitalyse Crystal Clear is a quality pool clarifier that is easy to apply and can give you a cleaner and clearer pool. It works by catching the tiny particles making your pool water cloudy and grouping them together to create larger particles. This makes them easier for your filter collect and remove.
Always check your filter before beginning treatment of your cloudy pool, and visit your local Poolwerx for a free water test before beginning any treatment.
If your pool water is cloudy because your water has been diluted your chlorine, salt or minerals, consider using Vitalyse Crystal Clear in conjunction with a shock treatment. After heavy rain, we often recommend Vitalyse Shock n Swim Plus to get your pool back on track.
Request a Service
If you need some help with your pool after a rainstorm, request a service today and our fully qualified technicians can help!