Top tips to keep pool heating costs down

The ongoing energy costs of owning a swimming pool can be significant for some owners. So how can you enjoy your pool year-round without burning a hole in your wallet?

Maintaining your pool is a year-long commitment, even if you are not using your pool regularly during the cooler months. There are several simple steps you can take to keep your pool running smoothly whilst also being as cost-effective as possible.

Try a pool cover

Pool covers can create extra heating. Evaporation removes heating energy from your pool and can account for up to 70 per cent energy loss.

Pool covers themselves can generate a slight temperature rise in your pool, as much as 4-8 degrees. As it works to retain as much heat as possible, you may find that you don’t need to use the pool heating system as much, reducing energy costs.

Click here to see which pool cover is right for you.

Blue pool cover for heating

Turn down the temperature

A quick and easy way to reduce your swimming pool energy bill is to adjust the heating temperature. According to each degree rise in temperature may cost pool owners 10%-30% more in energy costs.

If you use your swimming pool less during the cooler months, consider turning down the temperature. If you mostly use your pool on the weekends, turn the temperature down on Sunday night, then up again on Friday. They may seem like small changes, but in the long term they can save you significantly on your energy bill.

Girl swimming in heated pool with green goggles

Switch to solar

Harnessing the power of the sun, solar pool heating can be the most cost effective way to heat your pool beating out both gas and heat pumps in cost efficiency.

The pump circulates pool water through the heated panels on the roof and then returns warmer water to the pool until the desired temperature is reached. On a sunny day solar pool heating can produce up to 4 times the heat energy of a heat pump or gas.  Remember, to take full advantage of the solar pool heating it must be sized and positioned correctly to take full advantage of the sun exposure.

Poolwerx has a range of pumps available, take a look at our range of pool pumps or pool heating equipment. Why not speak with your local Poolwerx team today about finding a solar solution for your pool?

Find your local Poolwerx

Switch to a variable speed pump

One of the most significant consumers of energy for swimming pools is the pool pump and can consume between 3,000 to more than 5,000 kWh per year.

The upfront cost of a swimming pool pump represents just 20 percent of the total expenditure on an average pump, with the ongoing electricity costs representing the other 80 percent. When shopping for a pool pump, pool owners need to think long term. Using variable speed pumps custom programmed to your pool’s cleaning, filtration and sanitation requirements will save you hundreds of dollars per year on your energy bills compared to a traditional fixed-speed pump.

Click here to take a look at our range of pool pumps.

variable speed pump

The Insnrg Qi variable speed pumps have been designed with high quality components to maximise water flow and minimise operating costs.

Blog Categories

Recent Posts

COVID UPDATE: ACT is now servicing pools. * Victoria is now able to offer contact-free servicing!! Click here to Request a Service.
* We are also offering Click & Deliver in NSW & VIC. Click here for all Victoria Orders. Click here for all NSW Orders.